FTA 2021 Virtual Conference Call for Proposals
Financial Therapy Association
NOTICE: FTA 2021 Virtual Conference Call for Proposals has been extended until Sunday, August 8th!
FTA is very excited to announce the call for presentations for our 2021 conference! This year's conference will be held virtually on November 8-9, 2021. This past year has brought sharply into focus the need to promote mental, financial, and relational well-being. The current atmosphere of fear, isolation, political divide, and acts of violence is affecting mental and financial well-being in ongoing ways we are yet to fully understand.
This year’s conference is an opportunity for members of academia, mental health, and financial professions to come together to share, listen, learn, and cultivate meaningful and robust discussions in our shared passion for financial therapy and well-being.
Who Should Submit
Persons interested in the cognitive, emotional, behavioral, relational, economic, and integrative aspects of financial health and well-being. Mental health and financial professionals, academics, scholars, and students in the practice, research, or in scholarly pursuit of financial therapy and financial therapy related topics. All topics related to financial therapy are welcome.
FTA recognizes that economic disparity and systemic racism, prevalent in our society, are barriers to achieving mental and financial well-being. FTA is committed to minimizing these barriers through advancing diversity and equity in our practice with clients/patients, research, and within our organization. We welcome and invite all people regardless of race, religion, culture, socioeconomic status, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disability to participate, speak, or attend this year’s conference.
The goal of this year’s conference is to identify, address, and promote financial self-care and well-being practices. Presenters are invited to facilitate a session that helps attendees define concepts of financial self-care, integrate these frameworks into their practices, and elevate the level of financial self-care of individuals. Presentations that integrate financial self-care with behavioral, cognitive, emotional, or relational aspects are of particular interest.
Please submit your ideas and propose sessions in one or more of the following general types.
Types of Submissions– To better understand what should be included in the actual proposal attachment, please read the “How To” later in this document.
Any topic related to the following topics.
- Financial well-being
- Self-of-the-financial therapist and/or self-care
- Experiential self & client practice
- Financial therapy modalities
- Financial therapy skills, interventions, and exercises
- Money & relationships
- Behavioral economics
- Application of financial therapy research
- Education programming
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Sound financial management practice
- Ethical and professional standards of practice
However, any topic relating to financial therapy will be considered. Qualified submissions will be peer-reviewed, and evaluation will consider completeness; quality of writing; relevance to the conference theme; impact on field; innovativeness; attention given to diversity, equity, and inclusion; and usefulness in financial therapy practice and research. A limited number of spots are available for selected submissions and therefore only high quality and competitive proposals will be selected.
The two main types of submissions that are sought include:
- Poster Presentations – Posters feature elements of research, theory, practice, and/or showcase a specific approach as applied to financial therapy. Submissions should include a 1-2 page, single-spaced, detailed abstract in APA format of the proposed poster content. Poster exhibitors will present their posters during the poster session.
A Best Poster Award – Research and a Best Poster Award – Non-Research (Practice, Theory, Approach) will be presented at the conference. Posters will be judged during the poster session at the conference. Presenters must be present at the session.
- Full Presentations – These presentations will showcase high quality, relevant research, theory, practice, and/or a specific approach that furthers the field of financial therapy. Presentations may range in length from 30 to 50 minutes depending upon the accepted number of presentations. Submissions should include a detailed summary of at least 2-3 single spaced pages, with a five-page maximum including references. Presentation summaries should highlight the purpose of the presentation, the significance to the field of financial therapy, a brief literature review, the methodology and results if appropriate, and a discussion including limitations and implications.
A Best Presentation Award will be presented at the conference.
Author(s) that submit for the conference may also choose to participate in the Outstanding Conference Paper Award competition, sponsored by the Journal of Financial Therapy. To compete, full papers must be submitted to email@example.com no later than August 23, 2021 with the email subject heading of “Outstanding Conference Paper Award Submission – First Author Last Name”. Please see the Journal of Financial Therapy website (https://financialtherapyassociation.org/journal-of-financial-therapy/) for further journal submission details and suggestions. The winner of the competition will be announced at the conference and will be featured in the Journal of Financial Therapy if editorial requirements are met.
Please note, in addition to the full paper, you must submit a presentation proposal to the FTA conference and be willing to present to be considered for this award. The author(s) may only submit original work and may not submit a paper that is already published in another journal.
- All submissions should be single-spaced, Times New Roman, 12-point font, and use APA formatting.
- Evaluation criteria will include completeness, quality of writing, impact on field, innovativeness, usefulness in financial therapy practice and research, and APA and proposal submission guideline adherence.
- A separate Role Form will be completed for authors names. No authors names should be included in the uploaded proposal submission to ensure blind review of submissions.
- Submission of conference proposals due by August 1, 2021.
- Accepted proposal authors will be notified of acceptance by August 18, 2021.
- Submission for Outstanding Conference Paper Award competition due by August 23, 2021.
- At least ONE author will need to CONFIRM their acceptance by August 25, 2021.
- At least ONE author will need to REGISTER by September 27, 2021.
- Notification for Outstanding Conference Paper Award by September 27, 2021.
- FTA 2021 Virtual Conference - November 8-9, 2021.
Each submission is blind, peer reviewed, by at least 2-3 FTA Board and Conference Committee members.
- Submission of a proposal certifies the acknowledgement that plagiarism is the unacknowledged use of another person's ideas, words, or work, either verbatim or in substance, without specific and appropriate acknowledgement and citation. And in such, that the author(s) declare the submitted proposal and, if accepted, the presentation, will be their own work and have correctly acknowledged and cited the work of others, when applicable.
This call is no longer accepting submissions. For a list of calls that are currently open in ProposalSpace, check out our active calls page.